Sunday, March 8, 2009

Am I sick?

I can see a helicopter on the roof of Sick Kids Hospital. I may not know why it's there but I do know that the person it is there for is sicker than me. I've never been helicoptered to a hospital before. I have been taken by ambulance, many times. I've also been transfurred between hospitals. I also reconize photos of doctors in medical journals. I'm sicker than all my friends, but I'm not sicker than my friend's parents. I'm sicker than some of the people in this hospital but there are many more who are much sicker. I've never quite known where I stand on the scale of healthy vs sick. This is a question I constantly wreastle with. Too often I just compare myself to the person standing next to me. Some days I've been through hell and back and somedays I've just had some bad luck. I want someone to give me a scale that measures illness and give me a number. And with the number comes certain rights. If you are a 6-10 you are intittled to a seat on the subway. Under 2 you are not allowed to make referance to your condition at dinner parties.
I just want someone to tell me how sick I am.

1 comment:

  1. I totally know what you mean. I've had a number of surgeries now, and every time they ask me to rate my pain on a scale of 1 to 10 I want to kill someone. What if my 2 is someone else's 10? What if my 9 is someone else's 3? How do you judge just HOW sick you are or how much pain you're in? Geez. :(

    ReplyDelete